TikTok: We do not represent a threat to the national security of the United States, and we assure users that the app will be available in the foreseeable future.
“We are not a threat to national security, and we have said that over and over,” Vanessa Papas – the general manager of TikTok in the United States – said in an interview broadcast on Wednesday on the Today program on NBC. “We have very strict data controls, we have an amazing team building a world class infrastructure,” she added.
The Chinese-owned short video app is under pressure from the White House, which has vowed to block the app if its parent company, ByteDance, does not sell or disband its US operations by November 12th.
US President Donald Trump said in an executive order last week: “There is credible evidence that leads me to believe that ByteDance… may take action that threatens to harm the national security of the United States.”
Papas has repeatedly denied the Trump administration’s claims that it is transferring user data to China. The company said: US user data is stored in the United States, with a backup copy in Singapore. She also stressed that its data centers are located entirely outside of China, and none of its data is subject to Chinese law.
When asked what the president means by a real threat, Pappas referred to the increase in geopolitical tension between Washington and Beijing. “We are at the heart of that (tension),” she said. This; US companies Microsoft and Oracle are in talks to acquire TikTok operations in the United States.
Papas declined to comment on a possible deal, but stressed that it was confident in the future of the app. “TikTok continues for the long term,” she said. “We are more than confident in our future,” she added. And for the millions of Americans who use the app daily, we are committed to providing them with the same experience today and in the future. ”